Part time employment in the UK
- Students can work upto 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacations.
- Students can earn around £ 5 - £ 7 per hour i.e. approx £400 - £560 per month ( Rs. 30000 - Rs. 42000) during term.
- Students can work full time during vacations.
- Students could look out for part-time jobs by looking in the local newspapers and job shops as well as the Universities and Colleges career cells where information is available about vacancies. However please note that students are not guaranteed part time employment by the University.
- If you are going to the UK as a student for six months or less, you must ask the Entry Clearance Officer for permission to work
Employment in UK Tier 1 (Post Study Work)
Points-based system (PBS) is a new system for managing migration, for those wishing to enter the UK for work or study.
Tier 1 (General) Migrant of the point based System was launched in the UK on 29th February 2008 replacing the HSMP. From 30th June 2008 applicants both in the UK and Overseas can submit application for all categories of Tier 1. These are Tier 1 (General) Migrant, Tier 1 (Investor), TIer 1 (Enterpreneur) and Tier 1 (Post-Study Work).
Tier 1 (Post Study Work) - You can make application only after successful completion of your existing program in UK (leading to Graduation or PG or Master).
First you have to ensure you have enough points to make a successful application.
- 75 Points are awarded for what are called "Attributes" These are for UK qualification (20 points), Study at a UK institute (20 points), Your immigration status while studying in UK (20 points) and the date of award of the qualification (15 points)
- 10 points for English Language
- 10 Points for fund requirements (Mandatory)
To Qualify for Tier 1 (PSW) of the Point Based System you must be able to demonstrate that you have funds to support yourself and any dependents, For the main applicant this is GBP. 2,800/-. This amount must be held in your personal bank account for a minimum period of a 3 months immediately preceding and dated no more that 7 days prior to the date you submit your application.
- The scheme allows you to be there for another two year to gain UK experience. For this you do not require any Local Sponsor or Work Permit.
- You can make application within next 12 months from the date of first notification of award.
For more information, please go to www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk than click on Managing our borders and then Managing migration.